This shepherd's pie has all the hallmarks of the comfort-food classic: it's hearty, meaty, and rich. Our version uses Ivar's Pot Pie Filling, so that all you have to do is make mashed potatoes and grate some cheese. It's the perfect way to end a long day.
- 1 48-ounce package Ivar’s Pot Pie Filling
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 large baking potatoes, about 1½ lbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1½-inch chunks. Place them in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, and add salt to taste. Bring to a boil, and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, ½ cup milk and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in with the potatoes. Mash and keep warm.
- Pour the Pot Pie Filling into a large ovenproof skillet and bring to a simmer. Top with the mashed potatoes, sprinkle with Cheddar and bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 12-15 minutes.