This hearty, approachable dish is a wonderful way to start your day. It's even more approachable when half the work is already done for you: using our ready-to-heat Country Sausage Gravy, you can have it ready in under 45 minutes.
- 2 cups Ivar's Country Sausage Gravy
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs—the faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt. Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together and becomes very sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. The less you work it, the more light and fluffy they will be.
- Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Put the gravy into a large pot and put it on the stove on medium low. Heat it until it’s 160º, and stir frequently.
- When the biscuits come out of the oven, pour the gravy over the top and serve.